An History of the
Royal Society of the Blue Penitents of Toulouse
Roman Catholic Brotherhood established in France on 29 September 1575 - closed on 6 May 1858
Founded September 29, 1575 in Toulouse, France, the Royal Society of St Jerome's Blue Penitents of Toulouse was created "to ask God for the extirpation of heresy, the conservation of the King of France's sacred person and for the success of his arms" by Mgr Georges d'Armagnac (1501-1585), archbishop of Toulouse from 1562 to 1582 (picture on the left) and Jean-Etienne de Duranti (1534 - 1589), First President of the Parliament of Toulouse (picture on the right). Its statutes have been written by Reverend Edmond Auger (1530-1591), from the Society of Jesus, and approved by His Holiness Pope Gregory XIII on December 5, 1578 as the St Jerome's Blue Penitents of Toulouse Brotherhood. The Brotherhood became archiconfrery in 1588 by the creation of the Brotherhood of Cahors, incorporated under the model of Toulouse, then by that of fifty others that followed until 1879. A second version of the statutes of the Brotherhood, which was no longer named Royal Society, was written March 20, 1603 and approved by His Holiness Pope Paul V on September 24th, 1606 under the name Blue Penitents of Toulouse Brotherhood.
The chapel of the Brotherhood was built street Lieutenant-Colonel Pelissier in Toulouse (formerly Duranti Street), opposite the Duranti Hotel, from 1622 to 1625. It was solemnly blessed March 25, 1625 under the name of St. Jerome's Chapel. During the French Revolution, the Brotherhood was dissolved. In 1792, the chapel became a temple dedicated to decadal celebrations of the Supreme Being, then a parish church in 1801 under the name of St Jerome, which it still is today. The photo on the left depicts a procession of Penitents going to their chapel for Eucharistic adoration. At the Restoration, the activities of the Brotherhood took up somehow, until its final dissolution in 1858.